Give Your Diaper Bag a Makeover
January 3, 2022
When you’re the parent to a baby, your diaper bag is your lifeline. Without it, chaos ensues. Want healthier, eco-friendly baby products and a safer diaper bag? Try this diaper bag eco-makeover to save your sanity, help your baby stay happy and healthy, and protect the Earth.
First off, start with a good bag. If you buy new, look for Earth-friendly textiles like organic cotton, hemp, bamboo, or recycled plastic. If you’re looking to re-use (the most sustainable and affordable option), avoid PVC, which can leach phthalates and lead.
What should you fill it with?
Diaper Bag Must-Haves:
- Non-toxic Diapers - Chlorine-free, flushable or cloth
- Baby Wipes - Chlorine-free, unscented, refillable tubs, homemade
- Baby Lotion - Botanical-based, certified organic, or extra virgin olive oil works well.
- Diaper Cream - Botanical-based, certified organic, zinc oxide for rashes
- Bottle - Glass, stainless steel or BPA-free plastic
- Teething Biscuits - Whole grains, organic
- Snacks - Reusable containers; organic, whole foods
- Baby Food - Jarred, frozen, or homemade; organic whole foods
- Toys & Teethers - Natural materials like solid woods or organic textiles
- Pacifier - BPA-free, Natural rubber or clear silicone
- Burp Rag - Organic cotton, reusable plastic bag or container for sanitary storage
- Bib - Organic textiles
- Blanket - Organic cotton, wool or bamboo linen
- Sunblock - Non-petroleum based, non-nano, SPF 30 (or higher) (Zinc is the only sunscreen approved for children under 6 months old)
This is a dream list just to get you thinking about things, so don’t feel bad if you can’t do everything. You’re already well on your way to using safer, eco-friendly baby products! You should only be losing sleep because your baby keeps you up, not because you bought the wrong lotion.